Interesting Fact: Cornbread is a classic Southern American dish, and it comes in many variations. This recipe offers a sweet and moist version that’s perfect as a side dish or even a dessert.
- 12 fresh corn cobs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 90 grams melted butter
- 354 milliliters evaporated milk (1 can)
- Preheat the Oven: Start by preheating your oven to 180ºC (350ºF). Then, generously grease a 25 x 40 cm baking pan with high walls using butter.
- Prepare the Corn: Peel and clean each corn cob thoroughly. Rinse them with water and dry them well. Carefully cut the kernels from the cobs using a knife, trying to get as much corn as possible.
- Blend the Corn: Place the corn kernels in a food processor and process until you get a kind of mashed corn consistency.
- Mix the Ingredients: Transfer the mashed corn to a large mixing bowl. Add the salt, vanilla extract, baking powder, melted butter, and sugar. Mix everything together using a rubber spatula.
- Add the Evaporated Milk: Gradually pour in the evaporated milk while continuing to mix. Be cautious with the milk; sometimes, the corn releases a lot of liquid by itself. Start with less milk, and add more if needed.
- Bake: Pour the cornbread mixture into the greased baking pan. Place it in the preheated oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- This sweet cornbread can be served warm or at room temperature.
- You can customize this recipe by adding ingredients like shredded cheese, jalapeños, or even diced bacon for a savory twist.
- It’s a delightful accompaniment to barbecue dishes, chili, or as a dessert with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream.