- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 lb. ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (you can use any color)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 slices white bread, crumbled
- 1 tbsp. milk
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese (reserve 3/4 cup for topping)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce, plus an additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup for topping
- In a small skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the chopped onion and bell pepper for
3-4 minutes, then remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground Italian sausage, sautéed onion, and bell peppers. Add
the minced garlic, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, basil, parsley, beaten egg, Italian bread crumbs, crumbled
white bread, milk, shredded mozzarella cheese (excluding the reserved 3/4 cup), and Parmesan cheese.
- Using your hands, mix all the ingredients thoroughly until they are well combined.
- Once the mixture is evenly mixed, mold it into a baking dish of your choice. The author used an oval Portuguese
- Spoon 1 cup of marinara sauce over the top of the meat mixture in the baking dish.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sprinkle the reserved 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese over the top of the dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 45-60 minutes or until the meatloaf is cooked through and the cheese
on top is melted and lightly browned.
- Serve slices of the meatloaf with additional marinara sauce on top, if desired.