- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib of celery, finely diced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, season the beef stew meat with salt and pepper. Toss it in the flour to coat evenly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef pieces and sear until they’re browned on all sides. Remove the beef from the skillet and set it aside.
- In the same skillet, add the chopped onion and celery. Cook for a few minutes until they become tender. Add minced garlic, dried oregano, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the onion and celery mixture to your slow cooker.
- Return the seared beef to the slow cooker, and add fresh thyme sprigs and bay leaves.
- Pour in the beef stock and stir everything together. Set your slow cooker to low heat and cook for about 6-8 hours until the beef is tender and the flavors meld.
- Preheat your oven to the temperature indicated on the puff pastry package.
- Once the filling is ready, remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Transfer the mixture to a deep pie dish.
- Roll out the thawed puff pastry sheet to fit the top of your pie dish. Place it over the filling and press it down around the edges to seal.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg white and water. Brush this mixture over the pastry to give it a nice golden finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven according to the puff pastry package instructions or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed up.
- Once done, let it cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy your delicious Slow Cooker Steak Pie!