Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
Scalloped potatoes are a classic comfort food, and this rendition of grandma’s iconic recipe has been tailored and refined over time to bring out the perfect creamy, cheesy goodness.
- 4 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheese (cheddar or Gruyere) for the crust
- Salt, to your preference
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (optional for garnishing)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until it forms a paste and begins to bubble. Cook for about 1 minute, but be careful not to brown the mixture.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, and continue cooking and stirring until the mixture becomes thick and smooth. This usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the grated sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is well blended. Season with salt to your preference.
- In a greased 9×13 inch baking dish, layer half of the thinly sliced potatoes. Pour half of the cheese sauce over the potatoes, ensuring even coverage.
- Repeat the layering process with the remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the 1⁄2 cup of grated cheese (cheddar or Gruyere) evenly over the top to create a deliciously cheesy crust.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Then, remove the foil and continue baking for an additional 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and the top is beautifully golden brown.
- If desired, during the last 10 minutes of baking, you can garnish the top with sliced green onions for a pop of color and flavor.
- Once done, remove the scalloped potatoes from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This allows the dish to set and makes it easier to serve.
- Feel free to customize this dish with your favorite cheeses or herbs for added flavor.
- You can also add thinly sliced ham or bacon between the potato layers for a heartier version.
- Enjoy these creamy and cheesy scalloped potatoes as a side dish to complement any meal, or as a comforting standalone dish.