This hearty Kielbasa and Potato Soup is a comforting dish that combines the rich flavors of kielbasa sausage, tender potatoes, aromatic garlic, onions, celery, and carrots. It’s a perfect choice for a warm and satisfying meal on a chilly day.
- 1 pound kielbasa sausage, sliced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced kielbasa sausage to the pot and cook until it’s slightly browned and has crispy edges. This should take about 5-7 minutes. Once done, remove the sausage from the pot and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the minced garlic, chopped onions, celery, and diced carrots. Sauté these vegetables until they become tender and the onions turn translucent, usually around 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add the cubed potatoes, bay leaf, and dried thyme. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and easily pierced with a fork.
- Once the potatoes are tender, return the cooked kielbasa sausage to the pot. Allow it to simmer for an additional 5 minutes to heat the sausage through.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove the bay leaf from the pot and discard it.
- Ladle the delicious Kielbasa and Potato Soup into bowls, garnish with fresh parsley if desired, and serve hot.
- You can customize this soup by adding other vegetables like green beans or peas.
- Feel free to adjust the level of spiciness by choosing a kielbasa sausage with your preferred heat level.
- This soup pairs wonderfully with a slice of crusty bread or a sprinkle of grated cheese on top. Enjoy!