Indulge in the savory goodness of Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup right at home. This French Onion Soup recipe will transport your taste buds to the restaurant with its delicious flavors.
- 2 cups Yellow Sweet Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 15-ounce can Chicken Broth
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
- 1/4 cup Velveeta Cheese, cubes or shredded (compressed in a measuring cup)
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 cups Thick White Sauce (see below)
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded (for garnish)
For the White Sauce:
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 3 tablespoons Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 1/2 cups Whole Milk
1. Making the Soup:
- In a 2-quart saucepan, place 3 tablespoons of butter and the thinly sliced onions.
- Cook over low to medium heat, stirring frequently until the onions become soft and clear, but do not let them brown.
- Add the chicken broth from the can, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, and pepper. Stir until everything is heated through.
2. Preparing the White Sauce:
- In a 1-quart saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter.
- Add flour and cook over medium heat until the flour thickens and comes away from the sides of the saucepan.
- Gradually pour in the whole milk, a little at a time, while stirring continuously. Keep stirring until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
3. Combining and Simmering:
- Add the white sauce and Velveeta cheese to the onion mixture. The white sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat.
- Simmer the soup on medium-low heat until the cheese is completely melted, and all the ingredients are well blended. Continue stirring constantly.
4. Final Touch:
- Reduce the temperature to warm and let the soup cook for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Serve your delicious Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Pair it with a couple of slices of warm dark Russian Bread for the perfect dining experience.
Enjoy your homemade Outback-style French Onion Soup!
Note: This recipe captures the essence of Outback Steakhouse’s famous Walkabout Onion Soup, bringing the taste of the restaurant to your kitchen.