Potatoes Au Gratin, enveloped in convenient foil packets, bring a delightful and easy-to-make dish to your table, marrying the lushness of melted cheese with succulent potatoes. This venerable French dish, also recognized as Gratin Dauphinois, hails from France’s Dauphiné region and has garnered global acclaim as a go-to comfort food. Historically crafted by stacking sliced potatoes, cream, and cheese, then baked to a golden, bubbling perfection, our recipe introduces a contemporary twist: cooking the potatoes in foil packets, offering a practical way to relish this exquisite dish wherever you are.
- 4 medium-sized russet potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese (or any preferred melting cheese)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Fresh chives or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Prepare the Foil Packets:
- Tear off four 12×12-inch pieces of aluminum foil.
- Place them on a flat surface, and lightly grease the center of each foil with non-stick cooking spray or a dab of butter.
- Layer the Potatoes:
- Take one piece of prepared foil and place a portion of thinly sliced potatoes (about 1 potato’s worth) in the center.
- Sprinkle a handful of shredded cheese over the potatoes.
- Repeat this process for the other three foil pieces.
- Season and Add Cream:
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream over low heat until it’s warm but not boiling.
- Stir in the minced garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- Pour the seasoned cream mixture evenly over each potato and cheese pile in the foil packets.
- Fold and Seal:
- Carefully fold the sides of each foil packet over the potatoes and seal them tightly, ensuring no leaks.
- Cook on the Grill or in the Oven:
- If using a grill: Preheat your grill to medium-high heat (about 375°F or 190°C).
- Place the foil packets directly on the grill grates.
- Close the grill lid and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- If using an oven: Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the foil packets on a baking sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Carefully open the foil packets (watch out for hot steam) and garnish with fresh chives or parsley if desired.
- Serve the Potatoes Au Gratin straight from the foil packets for a rustic and charming presentation.
- You can customize this dish by adding cooked bacon bits, sautéed onions, or herbs of your choice to the layers before sealing the foil packets.
- Ensure your foil packets are well-sealed to prevent any cream from leaking during cooking.
- Remember that cooking times may vary depending on your grill or oven, so keep an eye on the potatoes to avoid overcooking.